Last week, I followed a recipe from the Meatless Monday website, but was actually REALLY let down. It was rather bland and didn’t turn out even remotely what I was expecting, so now, it’s time to get creative our way!
|via Greatest-Ever Mexican Recipes|
- 600g potatoes, peeled and cut into even pieces
- 1 cup grated cheddar/tasty cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g drained pickled jalapeno chili sliced, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- bit of fresh chopped coriander
- a little bit of flour for making cakes
- oil for shallow flour
- and salsa to serve
Add potatoes to a pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for about 30 minutes, until tender. Drain, throw in a bowl and mash away. Stir in cheese, salt and jalapeno bits. Stir in the beaten egg and a little coriander. Mix until it forms something like a dough.
Once it’s cool enough to work with, divide it up into even balls on a board with floury hands. Flatten into cakes.
Heat oil in a shallow frying pan and fry up cakes in batches for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve up sprinkled with a bit of salt and with some yummy salsa.
We had this with some lovely corn on the cob with a little garlic and chili butter.
And if you need to make some quick salsa, I worked out a quick batch today but random things that I had in the pantry…
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- a bunch of fresh parsley and/or coriander, chopped
- cumin, salt and pepper all to taste
Leave it in the fridge for at least an hour and yay! Really easy. And all sitting around the house.
I’d love to share some Meatless Monday recipes if you’re doing them as well! Share share share!!!