This is what you need…
Mushroom & Silverbeet Lasagne
- 1 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 400 g whole peeled tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 5-6 large silverbeet leaves, stems removed and chopped
- 250 g cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 8-10 lasagne noodles (oven ready or instant is fine)
- a little olive oil
- salt & pepper
The Method :
- Pop the mushrooms with a little olive oil into a small skillet and salt. The mushrooms will start to release their moisture, when this happens, add the onions and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the garlic a cook a little bit more.
- Next, add the tomatoes to the mushroom mix along with the thyme and oregano. Simmer on a low heat for at least 15 minutes. The whole tomatoes will began to break down as it cooks.
- Meanwhile, blanch the silverbeet quickly in boiling water and drain. Let it cool a bit before you squeeze out as much water as you can.
- While you’re doing all of this with your eight arms, mix together the cottage cheese, 1 cup of the grated cheese, the egg, a little salt and pepper and the silverbeet once it has cooled and been drained.
- Preheat your oven to the usual 180C.
- So, now you should have these things… A red sauce with heaps of mushrooms, garlic and onions. A cheesy mix with silverbeet. And your noodles.
- Take a bit of sauce and smooth it around the bottom of your lasagne baking tray. Put down your first noodles and start layering!
- Everyone has their own method of layering preferences, but starting from the very bottom – cheese, noodles, red sauce, noodles, cheese, noodles, red sauce, noodles, and topped with a little extra sauce and finally the remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 25 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving up.